Housing & Economic Development
The Housing & Economic Development Department is focused on cultivating a healthy and vibrant economic climate as well as fostering housing development opportunities in the City of Portland. We strive to maintain and grow a diversified tax base that supports strong employment opportunities, while positioning Portland to compete in the global marketplace.
Comprehensive assistance is available to businesses at every stage of development and growth, whether just starting up, expanding or relocating to the city. Our services are designed to streamline doing business in Portland and are free and confidential. For more information on commercial loans click here: https://www.portlandmaine.gov/523/Financing-Programs For more information on COVID-19 grants and loans click here: https://www.portlandmaine.gov/2627/COVID19-Loan-and-Grant-Programs
Our Housing & Community Development team supports a wide variety of projects and programs including social and neighborhood services, public facilities, and infrastructure in eligible neighborhoods and housing rehabilitation and housing development. The team works in partnership with residents, non-profit agencies and City departments to benefit low and moderate-income residents and improve the neighborhoods in which they live. The team also administers the City's Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program.
The mission of the Office of Economic Opportunity in the Department is to help integrate into Portland's economy immigrants and residents who need access to opportunities, as well as assist the business community who need qualified employees. For more information, click here.
The mission of the Office of Creative Portland in the Department is to support the creative economy through the arts by providing essential resources, fostering partnerships, and by promoting Portland's artistic talents and cultural assets. For more information, click here:
- Guide to Doing Business in Portland
- 12-2020 State of Portlands Economy Post Pandemic
- Portland Waterfront Economic Assessment, final, 8-2020
- Portland Harbor Waterfront Economic Assessment, final, 8-2020
- Portland Technology Park Marketing Brochure 4-2019
- Portland Ocean Terminal-Public Process and Redev Options to EDC on 3-20-2018
- Presentation on E. Waterfront Integrated Work Plan 4-5-16
- Final Portland Economic Development Plan - August 2011
- Updated Work Plan for 2018-2019
- Updated Work Plan for 2014/2015
- Updated Work Plan for 2016/2017