Back Cove West Storage Conduit
The project is under construction by Sargent Corporation from Stillwater, ME. Construction will continue throughout 2021 and 2022.
Sargent Corporation was the low bidder with a bid of $27,272,257.00
The Notice of Award was issued on December 28, 2020 and signed on December 29, 2020.
City of Portland's Planning Authority has approved a Level 1 Site Alteration Permit on December 30, 2020.
Maine DEP has issued a Finding of No Significant Impact for the Back Cove West Storage Conduit Project. The report has been posted below under Press Releases.
On March 4, 2020 the City of Portland had a neighborhood meeting on this project. The presentation given at the meeting can be found under Press Releases.
A set of construction plans can be viewed: HERE
- 2.25 Million Gallon Underground Storage Conduit.
- New 1,690 foot long 20 foot x 8 foot box conduit will be installed in Baxter Boulevard to capture Combined Sewer Overflows before they reach back Cove.
- 2,133 feet of 60" round pipe to be used for storage.
- 8 existing CSO’s will be consolidated into 2 remaining CSO’s.
- New sewer, storm drains and water lines will be installed in Dartmouth Street from Baxter Boulevard to Forest Avenue.
- Streets within work area will be reconstructed, new pavement installed.
- Multiple storm drain outfalls will be replaced along Baxter Boulevard.
- Multiple long street closures will occur throughout the project.
- New traffic signal at Vannah Ave and Baxter Blvd.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE PROJECT
- Large equipment and machines moving through the area creating vibrations
- Traffic disruptions, backups, moving work-zone, slower traffic
- Streets will be closed
- Temporary disruptions to driveways, water, sewer lines (contractor must provide notification)
- Temporary water lines will be installed running across yards and connecting to houses
- Dust - contractor required to control dust but it will still get dusty at times
- Professional interactions with contractor (contact one of the people listed below, if this doesn’t happen)
SEQUENCING OF PROJECT
- Start of construction July 2021 and continue through 2022.
- Project will start by closing Baxter Boulevard from Payson Park to Vannah Avenue.
- A 20 foot x 8 foot concrete box conduit will be installed from Cheverus Track to Mackworth St.
- 60" storage pipe will be installed from Mackworth St to Dartmouth Street.
- Once this section is complete Dartmouth St will be closed from Forest Ave to Baxter Boulevard.
- New sewer, storm and water will be installed in Dartmouth Street.
- Base Paving will occur throughout project as work is completed.
- Spring 2023 Surface Paving and stripping of the streets.
WHO TO CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS/ISSUES
- Project Engineer, Portland Department of Public Works: Nathaniel Smith at (207) 874-8818, firstname.lastname@example.org