SINGLE SORT RECYCLING PROGRAM
The Recycling location on Somerset St will be CLOSED effective January 15, 2016 to be relocated.
After January 15, 2016, the recycling containers will be relocated to the following two locations:
1) Commercial St at Park Street across from 450 Commercial St
2) Riverside Recycling Facility located at 910 Riverside St - 04103
- Available Business hours ~ Mon - Saturday 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
For more information, call 874-8801
WHY SINGLE SORT RECYCLING?
The City of Portland has switched to Single Sort Recycling (SSR). It’s so easy even a bear can do it! To accommodate this new form of recycling, we’ll be using the same trucks as we use for trash pickup. So don’t despair, though the trucks look the same, the trash and recycling are going to very different spots. Watch the public service announcement and learn more about SSR!
Recycling in Portland
Portland's convenient curbside program now allows you to recycle a majority of your weekly trash including newspapers, magazines, bulk mail, letters, food boxes, cardboard, glass, aluminum, and a majority of your household plastics (all plastics #1 through #7). The city's recycling is collected by City of Portland employees and is brought to EcoMaine where it is sorted and sold to companies who use recycled material in the manufacturing of their products.
Guidelines & Additional Information
- Please set your bin where the recycling crew can reach it easily and have it out no later than 6:30 a.m.
- Do not place trash bags in your recycling bin.
- You can call 207-756-8189 for more information about your recycling program.
- Learn more about statewide recycling efforts.
- Please call the Recycling Hotline at 207-756-8189 for more information.
Accepted for Recycling
- Paper: Newspapers, magazines, books (hardcover and soft cover), phone books, old mail, greeting cards, flyers, brochures, envelopes (with or without windows), manila folders, postcards, and paper bags. More or less, you can recycle anything that previously came from a tree.
- Paperboard: Clean food boxes with liners removed (cereal, rice, cake mixes, etc.), paper towel tubes, writing pad backs, medicine, and toiletry boxes
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Glass, Cans & Aluminum: Metal food and beverage containers, aluminum foil, aerosol cans with the lids removed, clear and colored glass bottles and jars. No Pyrex dishes please.
- Plastic: All plastics with the recycling symbol (example: or ) can be placed in your bin. Styrofoam containers cannot be recycled, period.
Not Accepted for Recycling
- Motor oil
- Pesticide bottles or other hazardous wastes
- Heavily soiled paper or cardboard
- Medical wastes such as syringes
The City rolled out its new 65 and 96 gallon recycling carts this morning during a press conference. New recycling carts with wheels and lids will start being delivered to all residents during the week of August 7 with everyone having them by Labor Day. Read on...
Portland, say hello to your new recycling cart! Your home will soon be receiving a shiny new cart thanks to an important relationship between the City of Portland and The Recycling Partnership. Carts will be delivered beginning the week of August 7. Read on...
City crews collect curbside Recycling & Trash every weekday beginning at 6:30 a.m. Material set out later than 6:30 a.m. may result in a missed collection. Read on...